Roll 20, a scrap project

With the demise of my sewing machine, the opportunity is presenting itself to work on some posts from some older projects. While I have found a new machine, the post about my new (to me) machine with have to wait for a bit as I have taken in to be serviced and cleaned. So my posts for now will continue to be about my learning to sew adventures…

After making the dog beds, I was beginning to feel more confident and was starting to spend a little more time searching the internet for projects I could complete at my low skill level. I kept finding all kinds of different tutorials for tote, grocery, and produce bags. While I did want to make a tote bag for the library and farmer’s market runs, I was thinking something smaller for now. Much smaller. Like dice bags!

Of course, I didn’t think to take good pictures at the time. It was impromptu and I had no idea what I was doing. I had some pirate themed fabric left over from my one of my dog beds, and an assortment of strings in my sewing box from my husband’s hoodies.

So here is what I did. Winged it. Completely. I repurposed an old orange pillow that had a rip in it that was going to be disposed of and cut some longer rectangles for the lining. I used the pirate fabric for the outer fabric and cut matching rectangles. I folded the lining in half, right sides together, and sewed down the sides, doing the same for the pirate fabric. I turned the newly created pouch right side out and left the liner alone and sat it inside the other.

Now the top hasn’t been sewn together yet, and neither has my string been put into place. And there’s the main problem folks. I did not think about how construction truly works when I just started winging it. I did not leave a space for my strings to poke out from.

14319156833_45fb24887e_bSo had I noticed this grievous error yet? NOPE! I just kept going. I rolled the top down to the inside, without even attempting to cover the unfinished edges and then realized my mistake. (in true Homer Simpson fashion) Doh!

I really wasn’t worried too much about how these looked at the time because they were supposed to just be giving me practice making something and using my machine. So I just snipped little holes where the strings were to be and pulled them on through.

14298420194_404ae4b6f0_bDo they look good? Nope. Did I get practice? Yep. Are they useable? Mostly. While I might not count this one as a success, it was a superb learning experience. Really thinking the design through, even when winging it, is an important step that will save you time and make your end project more useable and give the item longevity.

Advertisements
This entry was posted in Misc. Projects and tagged , , , , , , . Bookmark the permalink.

Leave a Reply

Fill in your details below or click an icon to log in:

WordPress.com Logo

You are commenting using your WordPress.com account. Log Out / Change )

Twitter picture

You are commenting using your Twitter account. Log Out / Change )

Facebook photo

You are commenting using your Facebook account. Log Out / Change )

Google+ photo

You are commenting using your Google+ account. Log Out / Change )

Connecting to %s